WE'RE ALMOST THERE! H.R. 1925 is a bipartisan bill proposing to name the Manhattan VA Hospital in honor of Revolutionary War hero Margaret Corbin, who was the first woman paid and pensioned by the United States military for her service and wounds in combat. New Yorkers need the full support of our state’s Congressional delegation to name the Manhattan VA hospital in honor of Revolutionary War hero Margaret Corbin. This legislation will:
- Designate the first VA hospital campus named in honor of a woman veteran
- Honor the nation’s first woman veteran recognized and pensioned by the U.S. military for her wounds in combat in 1776
- Commemorate Manhattan’s Battle of Fort Washington, where Margaret Corbin made the Continental Army’s final stand before falling to near-fatal wounds
- Signal the VA’s recognition of women’s service and sacrifice as members of the U.S. Armed forces since 1776
- Increase VA access for women veterans, a rapidly growing yet underserved population, by recognizing and welcoming them
Last November, we commemorated Corbin's service and sacrifice with a 12-mile march from Fraunces Tavern to Fort Tryon Park, where we held a press conference announcing the introduction of legislation honoring Margaret Corbin. Check out coverage on National Public Radio and NY1.
Read more in our policy brief and letters of support.
This bill was originally introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Rep. Adriano Espaillat, Rep. Nydia Velazquez, and Rep. Jerrold Nadler, and in the U.S. Senate by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and Sen. Chuck Schumer. It is supported by NY State Sen. Brad Hoylman, NY State Sen. Liz Krueger, NYS Assembly Member Harvey Epstein, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, NYC Council Member Carlina Rivera, Commissioner of NYC Veterans' Services Loree Sutton, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, Veteran Advocacy Project, Service Women's Action Network, and New York Legal Assistance Group. It is also supported by United Spinal Association, whose former CEO James J. Peters is the namesake of the Bronx VA Medical Center.
Let's Get This Passed!
Thanks to you, each of New York State's Members of Congress have signed on in support of H.R. 1925 as of January 2020! We just need for it to come to a floor vote to move toward passage. Urge Senators Schumer and Gillibrand, and your Member of Congress to bring it to a vote!
Thank you for taking part in getting this bill passed!