Report: Who Responded to the Survey
Most of the survey’s 478 responses came from NYC, Long Island, Westchester, and other counties in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut that make up the New York Metropolitan area. A total of 93.58% of respondents reported living in or within commuting distance to NYC. A smaller number reported living in the Albany area and on military bases in the U.S. and abroad. A total of 5.14% of respondents reported living outside of these areas.
Respondents were asked to identify their involvement or role within the NYC veterans community, and to select as many categories as applied to them. A total of 74.27% of respondents indicated present or past service in the military. Significant numbers of respondents are members and/or employees of veteran service organizations (VSOs), are service providers, or are otherwise connected to veterans through close relationships. The survey also asked for NYC government employees, first responders, and medical providers to self-identify.
Note: percentages do not add up to 100% as respondents could identify multiple relationships/roles.
Respondent Comments. Several respondents offered comments about their relationship to the NYC veterans community:
- Retired Military member of a NY based military organization for 5 years. Currently do not reside in NY.
- I live in the suburbs but used to work in NYC.
- I am originally from NY.
- I'm a retired VA social worker who worked with veterans having a range of medical, mental health, substance abuse and housing issues.
- Retired Army; currently active in Civil Air Patrol (USAF Aux).
- Brooklyn VVA.
- Manhattan Veterans Advocacy Council.
- I am a not-for-profit and social justice advocate.
- I represent servicewomen in impact litigation. I work at a legal non-profit.
- Retired, living in Queens, NY.
- I am a retired first responder.
- Veteran Graduate Student.
- Produced one film on women veterans, run social media and composed scores for 4 other films about veterans.
- I volunteer with the USO, Mets Alumni, WWP.