commented on Privatize the VA?
2016-12-05 08:43:00 -0500
- I respect Duffy’s opinion and of course her personal experience . Secondly , for the record , I do not interact with VA Healthcare System and have not done so , except for two Comp Exams , in the last 25 years . Indeed actually receiving care goes back 40 years. I have , in that time , availed myself of Employment based Health Insurance and , over the past five years Medicare . So my actual experience with VA Healthcare goes back a very long time - and at that time it was sub standard - the system was not adequately prepared for “us” . Today I hear many opinions - some praise the system and some deplore it -- it is all personal. The system is once again inadequate to my generation as it struggles with the very different needs of the younger generation.
The Department of Veterans Affairs has not had competent leadership in many years and this is non partisan
- it has also been inadequately funded by congress - again for the most part in a non partisan manner.
I have proposed and continue to propose these improvements :
1. Seperate Healthcare from all other VA functions and have two Secretaries in the Cabinet .
2. Do not privatize BUT give all Veterans with Service Connected Compensation at 50% or above the CHOICE of fully paid Medicare or VA Healthcare — the choice can only be changed every 3 years .
3. Allow prescription drugs authorized by private physicians to be filled through the VA.
4. Disallow bonuses of any kind for VA Employees but raise the pay scale .
5. Streamline the process of firing employees and disallow all unionization .
6. Integrate the Military health record with The VA Healthcare System upon discharge or retirement.